What is a Crown?
A crown is a cover or "cap" your dentist can put on a tooth. The crown restores the tooth to its normal shape, size and function. The purpose of a crown is to make the tooth stronger or improve the way it looks.
Why do I need a crown?
You may need a crown if you:
• have a cavity that is too large for a filling
• have a missing tooth and need a bridge
• need to cover a dental implant
• have a tooth that is cracked, worn down or otherwise weakened
• have had root canal treatment-the crown will protect the restored tooth
• want to cover a discolored or badly shaped tooth and improve your smile!
Patient education content ©2016 American Dental Association. All rights reserved. "ADA" and the "ADA" Logo are registered trademarks of the American Dental Association.